Advisory on safety tips at malls and shopping centres.
In Hartbeespoortdam the malls and shopping centres attract thousands of shoppers and visitors each month. Mall management, shop and restaurant owners endeavour to make your visit a safe and pleasant one.
Unfortunately the malls are also a magnet to opportunistic criminals. Herewith are some recommended tips:
1) Theft out of motor vehicles occur as a result of motorists leaving valuables in their cars in open view. Pack valuables in car boots where they cannot be seen.
2) Avoid ATMs where people are loitering and never accept help from anyone offering to help but rather draw money at a supermarket till.
3) Report any suspicious activity or vehicles to mall management or security guards. Car guards are there for your safety and convenience. Please treat them with respect.
4) Our largest malls such as Village Mall and Sedba Plaza have been requested to strictly implement a recommended speed limit of 15km per hour in the interests of public safety. Speeding motorists place the lives of shoppers and visitors in serious danger. Mall goers are requested to drive slowly and considerately in parking areas.
5) Persons consuming alcohol in parking aread or being drunk on these premises face arrest by the police on charges of Drinking in Public and/or Drunkenness.
6) Persons playing extremely loud music in their cars for prolonged periods also face possible charges of Disturbance of Peace
7)Do not reverse park into a parking as your vehicle is then seen to be a possible suspect vehicle.
In the interests of public safety the CPF has requested the Police to monitor shopping centres and malls more intensively henceforth. With the co-operation of the community we can keep crime levels to a minimum.
Romano vd Spuy
Community Police Forum.